Agree to Disagree - top 100 anime list

Top anime 100 list currently:

http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top100.php?l=anime

Some
I am a little shady on like EVA (#25) seeing how that's all I ever hear people saying is their fav of all time. Or Akira how it is like waaaaaaaaay at the bottom (#97) being a classic and all.
Or things like Azumanga Daioh (#14)... why!?!?!>!?

I mean I have seen all the stuff on there (some of the stuff isn't completed yet) and it kinda sucks that they put like old school anime in there with like new up to date CGI stuff... I mean how can you compare!? - I think old school anime will always win, but it's like 2 different things... - BAH!
candyman
Nov 30 at 9:55 PM
Much props to the person(s) who coded up AnimeNFO, but the people who populate their databases are not to be trusted.

According to the list, six out of the top ten of the best anime titles ever were made since 2000. I don't have to know anything about anime to call this one out. Name any catagory of stuff that has existed for about 40 years and try making a best-of list that contains even one item in the top 50 in the last year.

If it's any consolation, the all-seeing IMDB's [http://www.imdb.com] list of best movies of all time is equally soiled by the same sort of cluelessness. No amount of statistical creativity can hide the fact that the vast majority of voters have no idea what they're talking about.

http://www.imdb.com/top_250_films

Lord
of the Rings, #4 and #8 in the top ten? Memento at #15? Good movies, yes, but even without having seen half that list, I can assure you that this is not the pinnacle of cinema.

100x more voters at imdb makes that list far more criminal than the anime one. Oh well.

I only wish there was an AFI top 100 list for anime, picked by people who have actually seen at least one show on videotape. (I really should check out those books that Melissa and others suggested.)

Hey, now that I think of it, thanks for the new voting poll Candyman! (Poll coming in a few minutes.)
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Dec 01 at 12:27 AM
I was just scrolling through the imdb top 250 and one thing has me confused. (91)Toy Story 2 1999, and (92)Finding Nemo 2003 are rated higher than (223)Beauty and the Beast 1991, (228)Fantasia 1940, and (242)Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 1937. I was just woundering what we would think of Nemo and Toy Story after 60+ years would they be as good as Snow White, Fantasia or a newer film Like Beauty and the Beast. Or will they fall to make room for new films and maybe not even be on the list at all. In short the one thing you have to ask your self is will it stand the test of time? Is it good enough to be seen and remembered not only by you, but your kids and maybe your grandkids? That is what makes a film one, two, or three of all time.
pogo
Catgirls, Beauties & Other Cels
Dec 04 at 4:49 AM
Personally, it's harder for me to rank traditional movies because I've seen far fewer than I really should to form an educated opinion.

When I think of "timeless" movies, for some reason I always think of Raiders of the Lost Ark. No matter how many times I've seen it, I'll always stop and watch a few minutes of it if I catch it on television.

It's too bad that a lot of people don't adhere to the same description of a good movie.

You can't help but wonder if some of those ratings on IMDB are just rated that high because it's cool to like certain movies.

Spirited Away is visually very strong but if you stop and consider the plot of the movie, it's a little jumpy and really unevenly paced. You can almost imagine the script writers and animators fighting over what to cut out. For instance, the train sequence was a really inspired piece of animation, but to fit it in they had to shoehorn a plot point in about visiting the "good" twin sister. That character popped out of nowhere (even if she does get a brief mention somewhere in the first act) and dissappeared just as fast.

If I recall, a lot of early reviews were mixed. In the US a year later, though, reviews were almost all positive. I think a lot of critics are afraid to criticize a Miyazaki film because they honestly can't tell the difference and are afraid to let anyone know.

Don't even get me started on Crouching Tiger, I still have no idea what makes that movie so special.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Dec 04 at 3:08 PM
I think it is skewed toward "what are you most interested in now" rather than what is genuinely well crafted. But given the nature of polls, I think that's normal.

Case in point: Cardcaptor Sakura was handsomely done with a coherent and interesting story arc and fine music/voice acting. Even though some episodes were shabby fillers (true of any series) the whole was able to stand on its own, thanks to strong script writing and supervision by CLAMP's Nanase Ohkawa. Predictably, it rates lower than the next two CLAMP-related series, Angelic Layer and Chobits, neither of which were anywhere near CCS in plot, substance-to-filler ratio, or artwork. But they are newer, and so more interesting, so ...

Twenty years from now we will know what's really good, mainly by what manages to appeal to the next generation rather than just to this generation.
60something-sensei
Sensei's Anime Gallery
Dec 08 at 7:18 AM
Welcome! Login or Register