Ghost in the Shell 2

So I just saw a promo for GitS 2, it will be released in spring 2004.
A mix of old school drawing with up to date CGI.

Expected buget is $10,000,000 and has been in production for 4 years.

The movie claims that this will not get the criticism that most CGI based things get and that it will be unrivaled among other japanese films.

wooo I can't wait.
candyman
Nov 26 at 11:21 AM
One of my pet theories is that, given the recent buddy-buddy nature of Production IG with several important Hollywood types (Quentin Tarentino, Larry/Andy Wachowski), it's only a matter of time before the Ghost in the Shell license gets snapped up for a big-budget live action deal. Not many people remember this, but the GiTS movie is one of the top selling videos of all time in the States. It's definitely a more bankable license than the Evangelion one that ADV/Weta are currently pitching.

IMHO, the new series (minus the last few eps) has far better classic sci-fi writing (focus on characters, technology is just a detail) than the first movie. It's easily better than 95% of the pyrotechnic driven or soap opera "sci-fi" that's made here.

Second movie, as you mentioned, will be out March 2004.... but I'm not holding my breath on the CG yet. It's improving, but it won't be totally seamless for a few more years. Unrivaled among Japanese films is already a lock with the possible exception of Spirited Away -- at least as far as 3d integration goes. IMHO, the problem is that 3D software is a little *too* good. 2D animators cheat and shade to look "right", not necessarily to be physically accurate. 3D will always shade and color accurately and draw perfect curves, which in comparison makes hand drawn stuff look misplaced.

But I'm rambling...
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 26 at 1:41 PM
Yes, but it was a nice informative ramble. =)

GitS SAC, is my fav anime so far, and yes I must agree, that I liked it more than the movie.
candyman
Nov 26 at 2:25 PM
Welcome! Login or Register