Interstella 5555 at the Alamo Drafthouse

If I get a few hours to myself, I may grab some buddies and head down to the Alamo to watch this. I avoid their silly anime night thing and just skip straight to the *really* bad movies, but this seems too interesting to pass up.

Just want to let people know about this is they're in the area.

III. INTERSTELLA 5555

Music by Daft Punk!

Tues, 11/18, 9:45 - Alamo Downtown

Advance tix available at www.drafthouse.com !

Interstella 5555 tells the strange tale of an alien rock band kidnapped by an evil corporate mogul and transported across the cosmos to Planet Earth. The story is told through a combination of Daft Punk's music and Matsumoto's visuals leaving dialogue aside. Directed by Leiji Matsumoto at Toei studios, with a Manga look reminiscent of Battle of the Planets we are taken on a beautiful, surreal, inspirational journey jam packed with great visual flourishes all set to Daft Punk songs. There is no dialogue in the entire movie, instead relying on the feel of the music and the skill of the animators to convey the story. Fitting it to the beat of the music must have been an absolute nightmare, but they have succeeded in blending them together to create something quite unique. Daft Punk have always had a reputation for original videos, and in lesser, (and less twisted) hands this could have been utterly boring. 70 minutes of pop promo would be enough to turn any brain into mush; here you'll find the time flies by, as you get absorbed in the simple but yet poignant tale that always remembers to keep its tongue firmly in its cheek. One of the most original things I've seen in years. (Gary Gray, the ZReview)

Set to coincide with the initial North American DVD release date (now pushed back to December), Waterloo Records and Video will be on hand to take pre-sales in the lobby after the screening!

Loads of Daft Punk goodies will be given away or raffled off courtesy of Waterloo and Virgin Records!
Preceded by Battle of the Planets cartoons!
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 14 at 2:15 PM
Welcome! Login or Register