computer stuff in anime

[adminpoll]16[/adminpoll]

Then again, there were scads of computer effects in Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, but most people probably wouldn't notice because of Miyazaki's much-publicized disdain of the "obvious" catagory of 3d effects....

Your thoughts below.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Oct 27 at 2:51 AM
I think "wonderful days" is a good example of really obvious CG incorporated well with cel-style CG characters.

On the other hand, I thought the CG in the Fushigi Yuugi Eikoden was absolutely horrible.
spinizuey
Golden Dawn
Oct 29 at 4:40 PM
Never saw any of the Fushigi Yuugi OVAs, heard they're a mixed bag.

I couldn't figure out how to word this as an option, but I like consistency. To me, that boils down to an objective opinion about art direction. It seems like whenever one doesn't like the CG in a particular show, it's because the art director made a bad decision of using it at a particular time, not because the animators weren't competent.

I'm sure something like the first Kenshin OVA didn't *have* to mix in "special" effects to draw water or fire or Himura's spinning top, they just thought it would look cool -- for some reason no one can fathom to this day.

In contrast, Cowboy Bebop made a year earlier had tons of CG effects as well... but how many do you really remember? Consistency is the key. I think CG will only mature if you don't know it's there.

Oh, btw - go check out the Wonderful Days website where they show the "making of" if you liked the movie.... very neat, lots of respect for people who use miniatures instead of computers.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Oct 29 at 4:56 PM
Welcome! Login or Register