Cel Forum? A compromise

Howdy.

I've been tossing around this idea for a few months now, and I realized that it would make the perfect answer to the cel forum question.

My reservation (and a few others') is that even if we do make a cel forum, we'd probably (more likely than not) be wasting the posters' time because very few people will read their posts -- requests for cel id, general information -- than as opposed to one of the excellent, well-travelled forums already in existance.

*IF* we were to make a "cel forum", we would want it to "add" to what's already out there. Our cel forum and the others out there should be different aspects of the same interest, in my opinion.

So here's my solution: Disposable galleries.

The idea is to allow users to create new galleries as cel forum threads. This sounds complicated at first, I know. Let me explain.

Everyone here knows how to create a gallery. From observation, it seems like picture-based threads are quite popular on cels.org. What if you could have threads that were basically cel catalogs like the ones in your personal galleries? Furthermore, you could attach tiny message boards under each item to allow for comments, caption contests, etc.

If you wanted to show off some new cels, you could post a "message" (basically, upload a new cel) into the "new cel gallery" that has "global ownership". If you wanted to create a thread about cels of, say, walruses, then you could create a special "walrus cel gallery" that everyone can upload their favorite walrus cels to. Since all the pages are churned out automatically by the software, it wouldn't be any more effort involved then posting a plain old message.

Instead of only you being able to upload into your own gallery, every registered member can create and upload into a disposable gallery and attach comments to cels. You would still retain your personal gallery, of course, but you could make as many disposable galleries as you want.

The advantage to this type of cel forum is that a tiered gallery is easier to navigate and better organized than just an avalanche of posts and pictures on a message board. The advantage to sticking with the other message boards such as Cels.org and Anime Chaos is that if you're asking a "where can I find..." or "how do i..." type question, you'll probably get better exposure and a faster answer over there.

How does this work? Good idea? Bad idea? Would you rather just have plain text message boards?

(Keep in mind this is another one of those "not for a while" features...)

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jul 25 at 9:01 AM
Welcome! Login or Register