Can't create thumbmail image

Can't get a thumbnail to be created for
http://www.rubberslug.com/member/gallery/item.aspx?id=324208
benten
Benten's Place - A Cel Gallery
Jan 31 at 10:01 PM
I cannot get the "create thumbnail" feature to work, either. I just replaced an old scan with a new one - yet the thumbnail remains the same, no matter how many times I delete it.
reithejelly
Stem Cels
Feb 07 at 10:25 PM
Similar problem. I'm trying to replace an old scan with a better one, and in so doing, I eliminated the old thumbnail. Now I can't replace the old scan--it keeps reappearing no matter how many times I delete it and upload the new scan. And now I also don't have the thumbnail either.

http://sensei.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=153743
60something-sensei
Sensei's Anime Gallery
Feb 11 at 6:37 PM
I just managed to create a thumbnail and get other images to upload. The problem was that the image file name was too long. When a filename is too long, there is no error message of any sort, it just doesn't successfully upload. Also, a main image can successfully upload, but the thumbnail maker won't create a thumbnail. It turns out that, if the main image name is shortened and then uploaded again, then the thumbnail maker will successfully create a thumbnail with the image with the shortened name.

It would sure help if there were an error message when images did not successfully upload because the file name was too long.

These numbers are approximate, since I didn't really try to pin this down, but it looks like image names of 46 characters can be successfully uploaded. However, image names of 38 characters or longer won't create a thumbnail with the thumbnail maker.
Edited Feb 21 at 5:41 AM
benten
Benten's Place - A Cel Gallery
Feb 20 at 8:47 AM
Thanks, Benten, for your experimentation. However, that tip doesn't work in my case. I was able to create a custom thumbnail for the new image (same url as above) and upload that. But even when I shortened the filename for the new scan, it does not successfully upload.

I first delete the old "Main image" (a message warns that this action cannot be undone). Then I select the new scan with the shortened filename under "Main image" to the right. Then I click "Submit," and I see screens saying that the site is "post-processing the image." And a message slides down from the top telling me that my page has been successfully updated.

But the old scan that I'd been trying to replace simply reappears on the page as if I'd done nothing.

Frustrating! I suppose the only way to replace the old image now is to delete the entire item and resubmit it as if it were a new acquisition. But that's a lot of work and I'd just as soon avoid that labor for every old scan that I'd like to replace with a decent one on my new equipment.
60something-sensei
Sensei's Anime Gallery
Feb 21 at 8:59 AM
Welcome! Login or Register