Curious Ad Experiment

I figured I'd start tinkering around with some of the ad stuff I've been curious about but don't have a guinea pig to test on from Overture, Google, etc. Been a while since I've worked on a project that would allow me to dump ads on them.... but there's always Rubberslug.

What do you think about the simple text ads on the home page? Depending on what kind of feedback I get, I'll probably make some more decisions on how to integrate new features/ad placement on the site.

Trying to keep the annoyance factor to a minimum...

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Aug 27 at 9:47 PM
As far as the current ad experiment goes, I think it would be better either at the bottom or off to the left under the featured gallery or under the paypal donation thing. And if you HAVE to have it at the top of the page, I think it would look better incorporated with the top box with gallery listings. Like, in the orange and red area. Perhaps above or below the "Rubberslug hosts free galleries..etc".

I'm alright with the ads as long as they stay simple and NON annoying. If they start creating pop ups, or start growing to ginormous sizes and blink and flash and distort the layout of the site, then I'm gonna have to change my homepage to something else ;P

But I do understand that this site costs a lot to run. I also understand that in order to pay for these things, ads are neccesary. It's the way the web works.

I still think you should stop by cafepress.com and create some nifty goodies with the Rubberslug name. I'd buy a tshirt or something. :)
spinizuey
Golden Dawn
Aug 28 at 1:51 AM
I think "static" ads make sense. Afterall this domain is a gathering place for quite a lot of visitors daily and that is bandwidth money. And of course for all that want to keep their site hassle free and FREE, it makes lots of sense.

I wouldn't personally like to see adds placed on my personal gallery page. However, placement on the front/homepage of RS makes sense. I cannot see any harm in it. The current way that you have them situated looks fine to me.

Also. when "news", "shop", and "resources" open to full steam those areas would seem to offer additional places for posting ads once they become viable.

Of course, blinking, flashing, popping, moving ads I cannot see anyone actually liking that. I don't even like to see galleries using that flash or whatever on their site banners.

E
E
Aug 28 at 3:53 PM
I agree with E on this one. I don't mind the ads on the main page at all. I would hate to see advertisements added to the individual galleries. I refuse to open a page on Geocities (other than sales) just for that reason. Pop up and flashy ads become way too repetitive and annoying, and actually turn me off from viewing some pages completely. ;p And like E said, it would definitely be an idea to add advertisements to the other pages once their created; I think definitely to the shop page because it will surely be visited often by both visitors and members. And I like the format of the ads; anything else just gives me a major migraine and the urge to boot my monitor. ^^;;
Echo
Lunar Reflections
Aug 28 at 4:13 PM
Welcome! Login or Register