Plasticization

Did anyone here tried to plasticize his/her cel?

I'm thinking of buying some low quality cels to try that process on them. I understand it may damage the cels, but it could also work as a better way to protect them...

Regards
Edited Jul 17 at 4:14 AM
Riogi
Riogi's Cels
Jul 17 at 4:14 AM
Hi,

Years ago I thought about trying to laminate some freebie cels to see what would happen. I never really followed through with it. I would imagine that the heat to seal the laminate would damage the paint and I wonder if the cel was sealed, what damage would be done with the trapped gas. Curious though, please let me know if you decide to try this, I would like to see what happens.

Best,

Matt
mattness78
Jul 17 at 1:22 PM
I haven't tried this myself so, I could be wrong here.
I'm pretty sure that it would cause the cel acetate to eventually bubble and warp. It might take time to see this reaction so, I wouldn't try it on any good cels.
People used to put some sort of plastic coating on signed baseballs to protect them and it eventually yellowed them badly.
hyaku
Bibble Bibble Cels!
Jul 18 at 2:17 PM
i thought about doing that once, but i was afraid that the heat from the machine might reheat the paint, etc. what about those high dollar cellulose-archival bags? are they any better at slowing cel degredation?
ginga123
Ginga's Anime Galactica
Jul 25 at 1:46 AM
have y'all tried that lamination technique yet? im still very intrigued on this subject.
ginga123
Ginga's Anime Galactica
Jul 30 at 11:34 PM
Welcome! Login or Register