Best way to store cels?

What's the best way to store cels to preserve them as much as possible?
sgbozman
SGB's Cel Gallery
May 14 at 8:05 AM
everyone has a different method on storage; but, we all have one common goal-- preservation. i like to use those free cel boxes that Rinkya ships your items to you in and also using art store bought Itoya portfolios. I would definitely store them in a cool, dry place away from heat and humidity. keep the books off the floor and store on a shelf. this will decrease the chance encounters of dust which can make your cels look dirty.
ginga123
Ginga's Anime Galactica
May 15 at 11:45 PM
I am not sure about the best method but I concur, keeping them away from hair, animal dander, dust, moisture, light, and pretty much every other given particle known to man, is the main goal when storing cels. I have an old desk that is 2ft wide by 2ft long and 3ft deep with a lift up lid with lip so that spills can not get inside. It also stands about 8in off the floor to keep away from that whole problem as well. I try and keep them in those plastic cases that are mentioned in the previous post and also in their little plastic sleeves that most cels come inside always making sure that the back painted part of the cel is not touching a douga, genga, or background so that there is not chance of them sticking together. I have TONS of animals in my house and this little desk has kept all dust and hair out as well as safely protected them for 10 years.
This is just my method...I used what I already had (cel collecting is expensive enough as it is) and made it work for me.
Hope that this was insightful.
morgan
MissMorgan
ANIME ADDICT
May 17 at 7:15 AM
i agree, i definitely use cel bags too on top of all that protection! i have a menagerie of 4 dogs and cat myself too. o_O! i have a ton of freebie cel bags that Rinkya sent to me in previous years of shipments. (even though i always mark 'No', they send me some any way) my next question is-- should you bag your sketches?
ginga123
Ginga's Anime Galactica
May 18 at 12:25 AM
Ooooh, good one!
I have mixed emotions about the cel bags over the sketches. I had a boo-boo before that involved a glass of water, a beloved sketch, and a cel bag that would not have been half as bad if the cel bag didn?t act as a natural cup to hold all that water and distribute it as it saw fit to my sketch as well as add extra bleeding as I yanked it out of the bag :0. Otherwise, I would suggest the cel bag just to keep excess debris away and to keep it from sticking to anything, the cel in particular. Plus, they make great frisbees :P
Edited May 18 at 5:25 PM
MissMorgan
ANIME ADDICT
May 18 at 5:24 PM
Welcome! Login or Register