4 or more items per row in galleries?

I have been thinking for some time. Now that widescreen monitors are rather common why not add the possibility to show more than 3 items per row in galleries, or even more than 24 items per page?

I have been using widescreen monitors for a few years both at home and at work, and galleries look a little pitiful in those screens Did some calculations with my own gallery, and i could easily fit 6-7 items per row in those screens even with the "not so small" thumbnails that i use.

The only bad thing i can think about this idea might be an increased bandwith to rubberslug servers. As for bandwith problems for visitors, well, it's the gallery owner who should decide about it.

What do you people think about this?
Edited Jul 21 at 5:05 AM
cyclinganime
Cycling Anime's Cel Gallery
Jul 21 at 5:04 AM
Other dowside: galleries would not display properly on standard monitors.
Ted
Ted's Animation Gallery
Jul 22 at 6:46 PM
i concur with Ted, the display in most people's galleries would be thwarted and not everyone has a wide-screen monitor for their computers-- much less mine.
ginga123
Ginga's Anime Galactica
Jul 23 at 8:29 PM
Yes, i realize that would be a problem. That's why it should be the gallery's owner the one to decide if they want 4+ items per row.

Of course, the default option should still be 3 items.
cyclinganime
Cycling Anime's Cel Gallery
Jul 24 at 12:22 AM
Widescreen monitors aren't inherently necessary to display wider pages. What's important is the resolution of visitors' monitors. A couple of years ago, it was a good split between folks still back at 1024x768 (and perhaps a select few still at 800x600) and newer resolutions like 1280x800 (which is a widescreen format common on newer laptops with widescreen sizes of 15"). With the affordability of larger LCD monitors now, it's likely that many folks today have monitors that are 17" and up, which would mean that resolutions are probably higher than 1024x768. So, wider pages are indeed possible, even if folks' aren't using widescreen monitors. I'd be curious what the average is these days, but it's still probably better to stay under 1000 pixels wide for most web pages, to be safe. ^_^
betsuni
Jul 24 at 10:18 AM
Welcome! Login or Register