what would make a good movie?

Weta options Evangelion movie rights
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3608

and some nifty preproduction art:
http://www.ag.wakwak.com/~lay/img-box/img20030608102137.jpg

which shows (I think) Tokyo at time of Second Impact and a way-too-sexy-to-be-15 Asuka.

My question is this, "What anime would make a good movie?" I've been saying for years that as long as rewrite the entire show, the *idea* of Eva would make a fantastic movie. Keep the first episode, the desperation and "cinema-feel" of ep. 1 was really swank. I think if this works, anime will be the new place to mine novel pulp characters from (as opposed to roles written around Ben Affleck).

Your thoughts?
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jun 08 at 5:47 AM
I think thats a double edged sword of a question. All the mecha, powers and goodies would look so good in a movie, but then what about the sweat drops above the head, bulging eyes or blood gushing out of the nose. Those I don't think would look good, and for me those expresions are priceless in some shows. Though for a anime that I would work as a movie I think would be good ol Macross/Robotech. As long as the anime didnt have outrageous facial expressions and such I think it would be easier to make into a more enjoyable movie.

This isnt an answer to the anime/movie question, but I thought I would just add this, for a game/movie series I would LOVE to see phantasy star 1-4 made into movies. Though 3 would probably be weird due to the choose your own wife thingy that changes the story around...but I think those four games would be great as movies. Hmm...some dreams are better left as just that I suppose...
Thrance
Thrance's Cels
Jun 08 at 1:32 PM
I think that the best anime to movie conversions would be the shows that are more serious than funny. The SDness and sweatdrops really wouldn't fly with actual human actors.

I think Evangelion would work for a real film.. because it's serious most of the time.

Another would be the Kenshin OVA's (the first ones). Maybe even Spriggan. Utena doesn't get TOO SD crazy, but the show IS on crack, so I don't think I'd want to see it with actual.. people.
spinizuey
Golden Dawn
Jun 09 at 12:14 AM
Kenshin was my pick for shows that should be made into a movie when I had this conversation with some other folks last week. Was wondering if anyone would pick this one.

I think the reason no one makes adaptations of things that are Japanese/Chinese/etc. is because it's so hard to cast. You can convince everyone Harrison Ford is German, Italian, or whatever (one of the big reasons he makes such a good Indiana Jones). You can even convince people Russel Crowe is Spanish. There's zero chance either could be Asian though.

Kenshin would have to be someone who seems like an effortless swordfighter in real life (Errol Flynn, or Cary Elwes as a more modern example) and not one of these six-weeks-to-Kung-Fu-Master jobs like Keanu. Oh, and he's gotta look Asian.

My argument for Eva was use the concept, toss the anime. If you have a scene that has them doing synchronized dancing to kill monsters, your movie will suck. If you have a scene that has some kid whining in the dark for half an hour about how he hates his dad, your movie will suck.

Now, if you have a shadow organization that exploits innocent children and turns them into killers to save their own skins, you might have something to start with.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jun 09 at 8:06 AM
I just realised what turns me of making anime into movies. Or concepts of animes. Guyver....those failed attempts at anime real life crossover is one of the major reasons I think it would be very very very hard to make a good movie. Maybe Im being biased because of two movies...but hopefully my doubts will be proven wrong.
Thrance
Thrance's Cels
Jun 09 at 11:03 PM
Welcome! Login or Register