gallery screening

I dont think anyone has mentioned this yet. But I have a idea that may help in all these fake galleries being created. Instead of the new user getting the gallery right away, they get some sort of confirmation number or somethin in an email. This way, this ensures that they sent in a real email addy. Well it probably wont help ALOT, but it does cut back on the false email probs which alot of the fake galleries seem to have. Hope this is a helpfull idea...
Thrance
Thrance's Cels
May 31 at 5:56 PM
Yeah, that actually sounds like a really good idea to me too. I think that half the reason that false galleries are being created is because of how simple the utilization is in actually getting a gallery. If their email doesn't check out then they don't check out. hehe. ^.^
nagi
Shintaro's Fun Fair
Jun 01 at 12:06 PM
Been considering this for a while. Has it really gotten that bad? I don't swing the banning stick that much anymore, the mods do.

Requires an afternoon to do this. Maybe some afternoon during this week.

I've still for 15+ features and 3 or 4 thank you notes for donors waiting to be written in my inbox (I don't form letter those, for those of you who have sent a bit of cash and were wondering in the past) that I have to finish. In other words, no guarantees.

Speaking of new member procedure, I kinda had an "icebreaker forum" on my personal wish list. The idea is that every new members gets to fill out an optional questionaire about themselves and their collecting habits and their answers get posted to a separate forum that introduces them to the community. I get a lot of e-mails from new collectors asking me where to start with whatever they collect, and I'm honestly not the expert of most of the "collecting" questions I get asked. Thought maybe it's a good way for new users to make some new collector friends.

Does anyone think this idea is good or does it stink?

Work continues. Making new stuff is fun. Maintenance is a pain...

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jun 02 at 2:56 AM
From my view of the situation, the false site/e-mail situation has been the most recent problem that we have had to deal with and take complaints from members on, as moderators.

Taking the time to write letters of warning and ways to solve problems takes time and a lot of those letters are not getting through (bouncing) because false e-mails are present in a lot of the cases.

On the one hand that is good, since that leaves me one less response to attend to, since no legit response arrives.

On the down side, I should not have to write a letter in the first place if there is actually no one to respond to the warning or request.

I think that Thrance has come up with a very good idea.
E
Jun 02 at 10:42 PM
Challenge/response (sends e-mail to self to verify identity) behavior to be implemented for personal feedback forms also to eliminate spam and smacktards.

Working on these two things today, but I don't know if I'll get them done.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jun 03 at 4:18 PM
Welcome! Login or Register