The Search Question(s)

This one may or may not be controversial:

As a community and as a cel collector, would you like to be able to search the entire site for cels, even if it meant that searchers would not be "forced" to actually visit the member pages? Does the convenience outweigh the catalog effect that it will create? Is the ability to opt-out of such global searches a must-have feature?

Work continues, slowly. I wish I could work on the site more than an hour or two a week. As soon as those lottery guys hurry up and pick my numbers, we'll be in good shape.

jn

ps - Don't worry, I don't play the lottery actually.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
May 09 at 3:55 AM
Well, I'm not sure how that would be any better then the search feature we already have . . . but then again maybe I'm missing the point? Did you mean someone can type in an anime like Tenshi Ni Narumon, for example, and instead of seeing the different galleries, all the cels would be in one big list together? I don't know how I feel about this . . . it sort of takes away the individuality of the members galleries, how they chose to arrange their cels, etc. . . But, even with that said, if it somehow works extremely better then the search we already have, I could be convinced that it's worth it. Ah well, sorry if my post makes no sense, I can never tell. ^__-
hyaku
Bibble Bibble Cels!
May 09 at 9:20 AM
I think I agree, if my search simply came up with the cels I would miss alot of the cool cels I stumble across. I enjoy going through the galleries of folks who collect the same series I do. I have found some great new stuff.

And if I didn't play the lottery how would I win the 47 million dollars?
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
May 09 at 4:59 PM
That's the issue here. The reason the search on this site is crippled is more or less by design. I wanted to only show that a gallery existed that had what you're looking for but "force" people to go to that gallery to check out whatever the user put into it as far as creativity and stuff goes.

It would be much more convenient if the search just dumped all matching cels into a big image page (complete with thumbnails and such) but then it looks kinda like a meat market at that point. Of course each cel will have a link to the owner gallery but I'm not sure many people would bother visiting unless they saw several things in a row they liked from the same gallery.

Would it be such a bad thing is individual users had the ability to opt-out of such a search?

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
May 09 at 5:38 PM
I think that it would be a good idea. My 2-cents dream-vision for searchable results would be to see:

1.) Small personal gallery titles attached to the bottom of eace cel image, in small thumbnail-sized windows (for larger image "clickable") display, like 25-50 per page ^-^. Just see a whole page of cels at once! And see where they come (from A-Z)(Of course if there are that many cels/galleries of that anime that could be seen).
We all know what would happen if the DBZ search or the Inuyasha search is applied! It would result in perhaps a "nice format" ^-^;;

And/Or

2.) It could be done for each galleries "Wishlist" section, or "newly posted" cels, or something along the "fringe". What I mean is,if people wouldn't like their entire gallery "invaded" by the search engine, the search could be limited to the images that are available for direct search to these categories.

Of course if the shop ever opens...err...

My two cents are up...

E
E
May 09 at 8:04 PM
Welcome! Login or Register