URL related crap!

I'd like to have a small friends page where
I can link to friend's RS galleries.

Speaking of links, I have a hard time passing
around links to other gallaries.

I know MY gallery URL is pharna.rubberslug.com and I have to guess from other's gallery titles what their URL is.

If I try hitting copy link to clipboard, I get some strange, generic URL that doesn't work for my friends.

I also find it hard to believe that there isn't a
cels forum ^_~
pharna
Art in motion: Pharna's Cel Gallery
Jul 19 at 12:36 AM
Pharna,

I'm actually in the process of figuring out a good way to make a "friends"-type list.

For now, I can implement a really quick "Links" section that goes on everyone's site. The form will have a space for:

1. link name
2. link URL
3. description

If anyone wants to add to the list of useful things you'd want to associate with a link (other than a picture... I ... uh... don't want to do that)... then append some ideas to this thread.

As far as RS site links go, all you really need is the first part of the URL.

example:
if your address bar says
http://yourgallery.rubberslug.com/gallery/blahblhablah.asp

you
need only to type
http://yourgallery.rubberslug.com

to get to their home page. If you want to link way down into an actual cel or something, you'll have to copy the whole link, which *should* work as long as you make sure you copy the WHOLE thing.

For the cels forum thing, I'll do an informal poll in another thread. I'll add real polling ability to the message board later so you folks can start polls about your favorite character, brand of toilet paper, etc.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jul 19 at 12:46 AM
Hmm...

After looking at this one again, it's apparent that with the way way the database is set up (a rather primitive approach, in retrospect), it would be rather difficult to add any pages onto the default template.

Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm about to redo the whole database *anyway*, so it would be kind like starting a marathon by running 10 miles in the wrong direction to warm up.

Sorry about going back on this one... a suggestion, in the meantime:

You can use any page to dump HTML onto. Your about page would probably be a great place to put links to friend's sites. You *should* be able to copy and paste this directly into the textbox in your admin page. Just customize by changing the obvious parts.

<a href="http://www.yourlinkhere.com">Name of Link Here</a>

HTML is disabled in this forum, and I don't have a way to edit my own posts yet so that may or may not come out right. If it doesn't, I'll post a message under this one.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jul 19 at 2:45 AM
I understand the first poster's thing about not knowing what someone's gallery url is. I know that mine doesn't really match. My gallery is named "Noble Heart" but my url is "hoto.rubberslug.com". To most people, there is no connection whatsoever. I *guess* it would make more sense if I named my url "noble.rubberslug.com", but I can't change it because so many people have already linked me as "hoto...." So... I understand that being a problem. I have gotten around it by just going to rubberslug and finding their page. Not a huge deal, but I do understand where the first poster is coming from.
spinizuey
Golden Dawn
Jul 19 at 11:32 AM
Er... that's really something that's out of my control. I'd like to help you all out, but the only thing I could think of is to come up with some sort of "alias" system where you could specify one or more alternate URLs that would also redirect to your gallery. The problems here are 1) URL madness and (to a lesser extent) 2) URL speculation. Point 1 is just that it would be too much "mess". Do we allow 1 alternate URL? 2? What's the limit? Point 2 is an extension of this. It's not a big deal for cel galleries, but in that real-world thing your parents always warned you about, people grab every word in the dictionary just because they can.

It's another one of those too much work, too little reward type features that has a really murky upside. (i.e. - not sure it would be a good thing)

Sorry, no bananas on this one.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jul 19 at 1:50 PM
Welcome! Login or Register