What am I missing here...?

[quote]I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean by "loveitorhateit extension thingy"; does that mean that sellers can extend their auctions after they've already been posted? Even if someone has bid on them?[/quote]

Unlike eBay, YJ has an auto-extend feature. If a new bid comes in within the last five minutes, the auction is extended another 10 minutes (i believe it's 10). So sniping isn't as effective on YJ as it is in eBay. Hope that helps!

GB ;)
GB
The Wandering Student
Mar 21 at 5:21 PM
Well, I'm not super knowledgeable about fancels, and I would be the first to admit that. My understanding, though, from what others have told me, is that there are a lot of really wonderful fancel artists in Japan. Sometimes, these people are artists that used to work for studios and have either lost jobs or gone out on their own ... sometimes, they are art students ... sometimes, you find a piece that's sort-of-a-fancel-but-not-really that was done during production of a show by an artist working for the studio, to prove he/she was capable of handling more detailed or complicated production work. These weren't used in production, although they were produced under the studio's "wing", so to speak.

When I first started collecting, I had a really, really hard time telling fancels, especially on YJ, b/c they can be as good (or sometimes better) than production cels & there is that language barrier problem (at least for me, 'cuz I don't read or speak Japanese *grin*).

As twisted as it might sound, that is one of the things that makes me think these Sessh ones are fancels -- they are "too nice" ... the lines are "too perfect". There is no line fading at all ... there is no roughness in the lines ... and the acetate is so pristinely clean. I have not seen very many production cels that are this perfect and spotless. Hankens, yes ... but that's a whole different story. Combining that with the lack of a number and, apparently, lack of a sketch, and I think "fancel". *shrug*

Like I said before, don't take my word on it. There are a lot of folks around here who know a lot more about fancels (and cel collecting, in general!) than I do. ^.^ Perhaps someone else can chime in here and point how how or if I am wrong in my assumptions.

If you love the images, I say you should still go for them, just with the understanding that you might be getting a fancel in the end. If you go into it thinking that and bidding accordingly, well ... you might end up being pleasantly surprised if the cel is genuine. But, either way, you won't be disappointed. *grin*

As for the "love it or hate it" auto extend feature on YJ ... argh. I'm in the "hate it" crowd. This is a feature that some YJ auctions have. If two (or more)people are still bidding on an item at the end of the auction, the auction will roll over, or "auto extend" in 5 (or is it 10? I forget ... trying to block it out. >..< *sigh*
tex-chan
Gecko Blue Cels
Mar 21 at 5:22 PM
Tex is right, these are fan cels. The word that you need to watch for is:

レプリカ

It says "replica," and is short for replication.

I've noticed lately that a lot of Inuyasha fancels (Sesshomaru ones in particular) have been using this phrasing to label fan cels. That's not the phrasing that is usually used.

What you should usually watch for:

同人セル画

I have even seen it phrased "private cel," but in katakana. This is even rarer. I think that it would be spelled something like this:

プライベトセル画

But I could be completely off on that first part since I suck at spelling in katakana.
klet
klet's Island of Misfit Cels
Mar 21 at 5:52 PM
Thanks, Klet! ^.^ *hugs*

My translator program translated it as "replica", which I have not seen that much in regards to fan cels, but I figured that was what it had to mean. I often see them called "member animation cels" (via the translator program ...), so that could be another type of phrasing to look out for. *shrug*
tex-chan
Gecko Blue Cels
Mar 21 at 5:55 PM
You're welcome. ^_^

[quote] I often see them called "member animation cels"[/quote]

That's the attempt to translate this one:

同人セル画

Literally, the kanji 同人 mean "same" and "person," but the correct translation is fan. Those are also the two kanji you see at the beginning of the word doujishi.

同人誌
klet
klet's Island of Misfit Cels
Mar 21 at 7:24 PM
Welcome! Login or Register