Chun Li Trivia.
last modified: Sunday, October 23, 2005 (1:31:34 PM)
I added a Chun Li cel to my Street Fighter section and decided to blog some trivia about the first female fighter. I have fond memories of kicking ass with her in Street Fighter II, so I'd like to pay an homage. http://welcomeconsumer.com
* In the Marvel vs. Capcom series, Chun-Li receives an offer to join the X-Men despite not having any mutant powers. She considers mutant abilities to be nothing out of the ordinary, citing her abilities to fire a projectile (the Kikouken).
* Some fans believe her to be a good romantic match for the main character of Street Fighter, Ryu. This is bolstered by the fact that Ryu and Chun-Li were a couple in the 1993 Malibu Comics' Street Fighter series, and were romantically close in Masaomi Kanzaki's Street Fighter II manga translated by Tokuma Comics; both comics, however, are not considered canon. The two are acquainted, however: In SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom, their pre-fight dialogue hints that of all her opponents, Ryu is her favorite, since she was very happy to see him again. He enjoys fighting her as well, and considers her to be a good friend and ally. Alternatively, in the Street Fighter II amimated movie, she becomes romantically involved to Guile.
* Chun-Li has an alternate version in Marvel vs. Capcom called Shadow Lady. The apperance is a palette swap of Chun-Li but with darker colors. Her fighting style hints that it may be a clone of Chun-Li similiar to Shadow. She also has a Shun Goku Satsu-like move like Shadow does, sending her opponent to the air by her High Kick.
* In the live-action Street Fighter movie Chun-Li was given the last name Xiang, however Capcom hasn't officially recognized it.
* Chun-Li is a favorite cameo personality of anime and manga directors. She has appeared in cameo in various settings from the manwha Fairies' Landing to a background scene in the US cartoon Jackie Chan Adventures. She is also a regularly-used cameo character in other Capcom games, such as the RPG Breath of Fire and in the first stage of Final Fight 2.
* In the Jackie Chan live-action movie City Hunter, he magically transformed to Chun-Li and fought against his adversaries (he was first transformed into Honda in the beginning).
* On the American and European SNES version of Street Fighter II, the thong that she wears was edited.