Original Sketch by Gainax..?

I'd like to know a value estimate on my Misato sketch by Kazuya Tsurumaki (Gainax). I don't WANT to sell it, but if a Hanken, THE Hanken, turns up... well...

http://sc.rubberslug.com -> Original Stuff (or something like that)
Ore-sama
Money's Grave - Mother's Grief
Aug 13 at 4:15 AM
If it's any help, a signboard sketch of Rei (non-inked) by character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto went for about $800-900 about a year and a half ago on Yahoo Japan. I would consider that the upper ceiling for anything short of a full color sketch for the show. I am no expert, however; it was just an auction I happened to lose.

But then again, sketches of just any random doodad go for unreasonable sums of money at convention auctions. (...the "Big Belt Buckle" Effect, as we labelled it among our circle)

The same sketches go for 1/10 of the price if/when you can find them available via a friendly cel dealer or other source. If no one here can help you out, your best bet would be to e-mail your favorite dealer and ask nicely what they would try to sell it for. Try asking someone you know, I'm pretty sure this kind of question screams conflict of interest.

My best guess is that the market is too small to reach a consensus. Hope I managed to say something useful in there.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Aug 13 at 8:23 PM
I took a look at the scan (didn't realize you posted it in your gallery) and I'm pretty sure that quick convention sketches are more sentimental value than anything else. I don't think that selling it would provide enough funds for a frame-worthy hanken. Although, on the bright side, there is a boatload of Slayers loot (cards, keychains, stationary, games, etc.) floating around out there -- I'm assuming this is what you're looking for -- and the art for it has to be *somewhere*.

However, you did get to meet a rather cool individual. So, that's a big plus. In my opinion, I would just hang onto the sketch.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Aug 13 at 8:33 PM
Thanks to you both; I really am attached to it, I think, if it doesn't sell for my current desired price, I'll definately keep it. It *is* something special to me... yupp, I keep it... pretty sure...
Ore-sama
Money's Grave - Mother's Grief
Aug 15 at 8:44 AM
Hmm, sketches like that can go for money,
big money but usually if it's a really major
artist who everyone knows by name
like Jason's example of Sadamoto.

I've seen 1 or 2 color inked drawings of
Lina Inverse from Slayers by Takahiro
Yoshimatsu go for almost $1000!
I got a fully color drawing of him of Nanohana
Jiyuu from Jubei Chan.